It seems that my love for chickpeas and of course, hummus, has reached a new level: chickpea crackers, vegan and gluten-free. Maybe it is madness, or just a way of eating hummus in another way :)))…but let me tell you that this crackers are a brilliant idea. They are the perfect healthy snack alternative, easy to be taken to school or job. Not to mention that they nourishing and way too good. I made it with sesame and greek spices, but you can put whatever crosses your mind…The sky is the limit, as chickpeas go with everything.
My inspiration came from a lovely blog I am following Dishing up the Dirt. Feel free to write me and let me know how did you improve the recipe.
Ingredients for about 30 crackers
- 2 cups chickpea flour (you may find it under another name, garbanzo bean flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil , plus some extra for final brushing
- 1/2 cup of warm water
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds – you can put even more you want
- 1 tablespoon originally greek spices – or any other spices you like
1. Preheat the oven at 175 °C.
2. Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, sesame seeds and oil in a food processor, until the mixture looks like wet sand.
3. Slowly add the water, with the motor running on low level, until the mixture comes together. If the dough is still dry, you can add some more water. A ball of dough should be already formed.
4. Take the dough from the food processor and place it on a piece of parchment paper. Knead it for a few minutes and dived it in two balls. Wrap each ball in plastic wrap and let it rest for 10 minutes.
5. Here come the hardest part. On a flat surface of work, put a piece of parchment paper, place one ball on top, after you have slightly flatten it with you wet hands. Cover the dough with a second piece of parchment paper and roll out into a thin layer (about less than 1cm) with a rolling pin.
6. Cut the dough into the desired shape of crackers.
7. Sprinkle the crackers with the greek spices, press it slightly with your hand and then lightly brush the tops with olive oil and put in on a tray, where you already put a baking paper.
9. Put the tray in the oven and leave it there for about 12-13 minutes, until the edges are lightly brown.
10. Remove the tray and let the crackers completely cool before serving it or store it in a ziplock bag.
Enjoy a healthy life, lovely friends!